(Ontario, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Quebec, Maine)
Yes, I know that a few of those aren't in New England but we had to pass through them on the way.
[Page numbers refer to the Lonely Planet guide to Canada (lp) and Fodor's New England guide (f)]
This is from our four week trip to the region starting mid-September 1996. Sights in bold are the 'must sees'. Those included in [square brackets] are from variations that we considered for our route (it isn't possible to cover all of these without a lot of backtracking).
1. Toronto. lp461
2. Brantford. Six Nations Indian Reserve. Weekdays. lp526.
3. Fort Erie. C$2. lp525.
4. Smiths Falls. Hershey Chocolate Factory. Mon-Fri. lp445.
5. Upper Canada Village. lp445.
6. Kingston. Thousand Islands Parkway. lp453.
7. Pickering Nuclear Plant. Daily 09.00-16.00. lp503.
8. Toronto. lp461
1. Middletown. Dinosaur State Park. Tue-Sun 09.00-16.30, $2. f45 (f38).
2. Hadlyme. Gillette Castle State Park. Daily 10.00-17.00, $4. f37 (f38)
3. Old Lyme. Americas foremost impressionist art colony. f69 (f71)
4. Mystic. Mystic Seaport. Daily 09.00-17.00, $15. f70 (f71).
5. [Norfolk. Hillside Gardens. Daily 09.00-17.00, free. f54 (f53).]
6. [New Haven. Avoid. f68.]
7. [Bridgeport. Barnum Museum. Circus museum. Tue-Sat 10.00-16.30, Sun 12.00-16.30, $5/$4. f26 (f23)]
Rhode Island; f90
1. Newport; f115
1. Pittsfield. Hancock Shaker Village. Museum. f258 (f257)
2. Springfield. Old Sturbridge Village. Working 19th century New England town. Daily 09.00-17.00, $15. f246 (f243)
3. Plymouth. Plimoth Plantation. Daily 09.00-17.00, $15. f182 (f181)
4. [Cape Cod. Provincetown.
6. Lexington. f175 (f141)
7. Concord. f176 (f141)
8. Salem. Salem Witch Museum. Daily 10.00-17.00, $4/$3.50. f229 (f228)
New Hampshire; f351
1. Exeter. American Independence Museum. Wed-Sun 12.00-17.00, $4/$3. f353 (f353)
2. Concord. Mount Kearsage Indian Museum. Mon-Sat 10.00-17.00, $5. f404 (f401). This is an absolutely wonderful place to go!
3. [Charlestown. Fort at No. 4. Wed-Mon, 10.00-16.00, $6. f399 (f400)]
4. [Canterbury. Canterbury Shaker Village. Shaker community. Daily 10.00-17.00, $8. f367 (f366)]
5. [Conway. Conway Scenic Railyway. Daily 09.00-18.00, early reservation required, $7.50. f376 (f377).]
6. [Mount Washington
1. Woodstock. Billings Farm and Museum. Daily 10.00-17.00. f304 (f305).
2. Quechee. Quechee Gorge. Weekdays 10.00-17.00. f304 (f305).
3. Brookfield. Floating bridge. f307 (f305)
4. Montpelier. Vermont State House. Tue-Fri 09.00-16.30, Sat 09.00-16.00, $3/$2. f323 (f325)
5. Waterbury. Ben & Jerrys Ice Cream Factory. Daily 09.00-17.00, $1. f324 (f325)
6. Stowe. Trapp Family Lodge (Sound of Music). f324 (f325)
7. Mount Mansfield. Scenic view. Toll road, daily 10.00-17.00, $9. f324 (f325)
1. Montreal; lp331
2. Quebec.; lp369
3. [New Richmond. British Heritage Centre. lp411]
1. Freeport. Shops. f438 (f426)
2. Bath. Maine Maritime Museum and Shipyard. Daily 09.30-17.00, $6.50/$5.85. f439 (f426)
3. Bethel. Pure New England. f472 (f471)]
|Designed by Crystal Consultancy. Copyright © 1998-2006 John Arnold Stewart. Last revised: February 22, 2006.|